Saturday, November 8, 2014

Let's go race at Brainerd they said... Part 1

So I had to work the last race weekend at High Plains Raceway this season so I missed my last chance of the year to race the Supertwin with the MRA. :( I did, however, have the following Friday off and found out it was the last CRA race weekend in Minnesota... Hmmm, that's only a thousand miles away... This is doable right? :)

So I made a few calls, figured out what I needed to do to make this happened and started packing!
Thursday rolled around and my buddies David & Jose rolled up and we loaded up and were BIR Bound!
A road trip can't be a road trip without something failing or causing a slight detour... Our slight detour happened the following morning about 45 minutes away from the track... We were cruising along in a construction zone and all of a sudden BOOM and I look in the mirror to see sparks flying and then the wheel and tire bounced past the passenger window and into the ditch!!!! We were like holy shit!

  Now we all have heard saying like "Minnesota Nice"... Well we witnessed this in action! A guy came out from a construction company to see what had happened and told us to get it pulled into his yard and we can use his tools and fork lift! So we get it in the yard, unload the bikes and gear and get to work.


A HUGE Thank You to the guys at KJohnson Construction for the help! I got on the phone and my friend Abbie got in touch with her husband Troy to come rescue the bikes and gear while David and Jose ran into town to get the axle fixed and new bearings installed. So John and Troy show up and we load everything up and head to the track. 

Finally getting to the track was kind of surreal for me, the last time I was at Brainerd International Raceway was ten years ago when I was racing my 125 and 250 Hondas winning a ton of stuff! The weather didn't look good so I hurried up and got a practice session in before the storm... OH MAN DO I MISS Turn 1!!! 6th gear flat out pinned, you roll over onto the skinny side of the tire and speed up dropping into it... SUCH A RUSH!!! That was my thoughts on my first time through on my first lap at speed... It truly is something you have to experience to understand it!

Back in and getting everything ready for the guys I ran into Rachel and Danielle from Colorado and found that we ended up have 4 racers come in to race! Good Stuff!
Will be back with part 2 of this adventure shortly, in the meantime here is a look at the front straight in the rain during practice for ya to pucker up a bit!
Good Times! See ya soon!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment